Non-Japanese who are not residing continuously in Japan at the time of enrollment.
(1) Nationality: Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan. Applicants with Japanese nationality are not eligible unless they are dual nationals of Japan and another country and reside outside of Japan at the time of application. Dual national applicants selected for the scholarship will be required renounce their Japanese nationality by the date of their arrival in Japan.
(2) Age: Applicants must have been born on or after April 2, 1983.
(3) Academic Background: Applicants must be a graduate from a Japanese university or have academic ability equal or superior to that of a Japanese university graduate. A person will be deemed to have academic ability equal or superior to that of a Japanese university graduate, if he/she:
a) has completed or will complete 16 years of school education in a foreign country; or
b) is or will be aged 22 or older and has taken an individual entrance qualification examination and has been judged by a Japanese graduate school as being equal or superior in academic ability to a Japanese university graduate.
Note: Eligible applicants include those who otherwise satisfy or will satisfy qualification requirements for admission to a Japanese graduate school.
(4) Major Field of Study: Applicants should apply for the field of study they studied at the previous university or its related field. Moreover, the fields of study must be subjects which applicants will be able to study and research in graduate courses at Japanese universities.
(5)Health: Applicants must be physically and mentally healthy enough to pursue study at university.
(6) Arrival in Japan: Applicants must be able to leave for and arrive in Japan within two weeks before the date of the beginning of the third quarter in September 2018. Air tickets will not be covered if the recipient chooses to travel to Japan before or after the period designated by MEXT.
(7)Visa Requirement: Applicants must acquire College Student (ryugaku(留学)) visas before entering Japan. They then enter Japan with the College Student (ryugaku) residence status. Please also note that those who change their visa status to one other than College Student after arrival in Japan will lose their qualification to be Japanese Government Scholarship recipients from the date their visa status changes.
(8) Community engagement: Applicants should be willing to participate in community events held in Japan to promote mutual understanding.
After returning to their home country, scholarship recipients shall maintain close contact with Tokyo Tech, cooperate with the conducting of post-return survey questionnaires, participate in events conducted by local Japanese diplomatic missions, and endeavor to improve relations between their home country and Japan.
(9) Other: Any applicant who meets any or all of the following conditions is ineligible. If identified after the start of the scholarship period, the applicant will be required to withdraw from the scholarship.
a) Those who are military personnel or military civilian employees at the time of their arrival in Japan;
b) Those who cannot arrive in Japan during the period designated by MEXT or Tokyo Tech;
c) Those who previously received a Japanese government scholarship and who, for more than three years between the conclusion of the previous scholarship period and the selection for this scholarship, have not conducted education or research. This condition does not apply to the past recipients of Japanese studies scholarships, Japan-Korea Joint Government Scholarship Program For The Students In Science And Engineering Departments and the Young Leaders Program;
d) Those who concurrently apply for a MEXT Scholarship through a different program, such as the MEXT Scholarship through Embassy Recommendation, etc.;
e) Those who are already enrolled in a Japanese university with a residence status of “Student,” or who are enrolled, or plan to enroll, in a Japanese university as a privately-financed international student from the time of application until the commencement of the period for payment of the MEXT scholarship. However, this stipulation does not apply to those who, even though they are currently studying as a privately-financed student in Japan, verifiably complete their studies and return to their home county before the start of the scholarship period ;
f) Those who are currently receiving or plan to receive Japanese or other government-funded or private scholarships;
g) Those who are expected to graduate at the time of application and cannot satisfy the qualifications and the conditions related to academic background by the deadline given;
h) Those who are holders of dual nationality at the time of application and cannot verify that they will renounce Japanese nationality by the time of their arrival in Japan;
i) Those who wish, from the time of application, to conduct fieldwork or participate in an internship outside of Japan, since this scholarship program is intended for overseas students who wish to enroll in a Japanese university and do graduate research in Japan; and
j) Those who have already obtained a doctoral degree and do not plan to enter a degree program after participating in the Research Student Program.