Mathematics seeks to uncover universal mathematical structures underlying objects of investigation.
The abstraction of concepts often performed in mathematical research attempts to extract the essential structure from individual objects of investigation, and whatever truths that are proven with this framework maintain their validity forever.
In the Mathematics Major, students learn abstract concepts used in modern mathematics, and develop the ability to grasp their underlying truths.
Graduate Major courses build on undergraduate studies, taking the student from modern to cutting-edge mathematics.
Mathematics branches out into many specialized fields, and although our teaching staff provide courses on each of their specialized fields, there are other deeply interesting research topics which are not covered.
For these research topics, the Institute invites specialist researchers from other universities to hold intensive courses, providing students with opportunities to discover more topics of interest.
The Mathematics Major covers six broad areas of research: theory of algebraic structures, algebraic geometry, geometry, topology, analysis, and global mathematics, with approximately 30 teaching staff engaged in educational and research activities.
Graduate students conduct their individual research under the guidance of academic supervisors and take part in seminars.
In addition, there are ongoing research exchanges such as seminars by visiting lecturers, including researchers from overseas. By conducting cutting-edge research, the seeds are sown for the next generation of researchers.
New research results are constantly being produced and published around the world.
This department also publishes a peer-reviewed journal via the online open-access website, Project Euclid, and J-Stage, which is provided by the Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST).
After completing the Master's Program, approximately 70% of graduates join the workforce, and the remaining 30% continue on to the Doctoral Program.
The main employers are financial institutions such as insurance companies, banks, and securities firms, followed by educational organizations such as high schools and middle schools. Becoming an actuary — a type of professional mathematician — is especially popular, and many graduates work at the forefront of this industry.
Those who go on to the Doctoral Program learn the skills to engage in cutting-edge research, and begin their journey as researchers who share their findings with the world.