Tokyo Tech Tsubame Scholarship for Doctoral Students
Application procedure for Spring 2021 is updated.
Tokyo Tech launched a new scholarship program for doctoral students in April 2019.
The Tsubame Scholarship for Doctoral Students aims to reduce the financial burden on academically outstanding students so that they may concentrate on pursuing their doctoral studies. The financial assistance is intended to prevent motivated students from missing out on the opportunity to study at the Institute.
Students who enrolled in a doctoral degree program in or after April 2018 are eligible to apply.
Doctoral students are not eligible if any of the following is true:
- They receive financial aid from programs that do not permit funding from other sources (e.g., recipients of the JSPS Research Fellowship for Young Scientists, MEXT Scholarship students, recipients of overseas government scholarships).※
- They receive income as working adults (e.g., regular employees of a company, individuals who own a business).
- They have exceeded the standard duration of their doctoral studies.
- ※Recipients of the JSPS Research Fellowship are not eligible to apply for 2020 academic year, as in 2019 academic year.
Scholarships are provided over the standard duration of a doctoral program, which is three years.
Scholarship amount (annual)
1st year doctoral students
480,000 JPY (standard scholarship)
2nd and 3rd year doctoral students
480,000 JPY (standard scholarship)
or 635,400 JPY (special scholarship)1
- Students who show outstanding academic performance will be granted a special scholarship. Approximately 20% of scholarship recipients in their second and third year will receive the special scholarship.
Call for applications in Spring 2021
(April 12, 2021 updated)
Read the guidelines(below) carefully, and prepare for application.
・Tokyo Tech Tsubame Scholarship Application Guidelines
Tokyo Tech Tsubame Scholarship Application Guidelines (2021 Spring).pdf
Application for this round of recruitment is open to the following groups of students.
- Students enrolled in a doctoral degree program between April 2018 and April 2021.
- Students who are expecting to enroll in a doctoral degree program in September 2021 (i.e., current second-year master’s students).
Application is available on the Web Services for Students and Faculty (Kyomu Web system) during the following period.
[Students application period] From May 20, 2021 to May 26, 2021
[Supervisor’s approval period] From May 20, 2021 to May 28, 2021
● You will not be able to access the application page after the above period.
To make sure your supervisor has enough time for approval, please check the schedule of your supervisor beforehand and inform him/her about your approval request. And also don’t forget to inform the approval deadline, May 28.
• Consult the Student Support Division in advance if you are unable to apply from the Web System for Students and Faculty during this period.
- 1．Research Plan (Use the prescribed format and save it as a PDF file after completion.)
Research Plan .doc Research Plan .pdf
- 2．Bank Transfer Request Form (Use the prescribed format and save it as a PDF file after completion.)
(applicants who have submitted the form in the past must do so again)
Bank Transfer Request Form （excel) ※Internal access only
- ※how to get off-campus access to the Tokyo Institute of Technology network is available here.
- 3. Copy of your bankbook (PDF or image file. Only Japanese banks are accepted.)
• Submitted documents will be used solely for procedures related to this scholarship.
Research Achievements Report
Scholarship recipients are required to submit a Research Achievements Report once a year.
Please report from the Web Services for Students and Faculty (Kyomu Web system).
During the submission period, "Tokyo Tech Tsubame Scholarship for Doctoral Students Research Achievements Report " will be displayed in the questionnaire menu on the Kyomu Web system.
Please submit from there. (No need to submit in paper form)
Please be sure to submit the report by referring to the “Submission period of Research Achievements Report” below.
When preparing the report, be sure to write about the achievements in research over the past year.
Submission period of Research Achievements Report
(i) April enrollees: Early March (Enter research achievements from April.)
(ii) September enrollees: Early September (Enter research achievements from the end of September.)
We will inform you of the report reception schedule on this page and by e-mail at least one month before the start of report reception.
• After reporting your research achievements on the Kyomu Web system, your academic advisor has to approve the contents.
●Failure to submit a research achievements report within the specified period will result in suspension of scholarship payment for the following semester(s).
• Students who cannot hand in their report during the specified period must consult the Student Support Division in advance.
• The report will be used to select recipients of the special scholarship.
Students affiliated to laboratories on Ookayama or Tamachi Campuses
Financial Aid Group, Student Support Division Ookayama Campus
Taki Plaza, Floor 1
Students affiliated to laboratories on Suzukakedai Campus
Suzukakedai Student Support Group, Student Support Division
J1 Bldg., Floor 1
The next call for applications is planned for Octoebr 2021.