Tokyo Tech Tsubame Scholarship for Doctoral Students
Call for applications in Fall 2022 is updated. (November 16, 2022)
Tokyo Tech launched a new scholarship program for doctoral students in April 2019.
The Tsubame Scholarship for Doctoral Students aims to reduce the financial burden on academically outstanding students so that they may concentrate on pursuing their doctoral studies. The financial assistance is intended to prevent motivated students from missing out on the opportunity to study at the Institute.
Students who enrolled in a doctoral degree program in or after April 2018 are eligible to apply.
Doctoral students are not eligible if any of the following is true:
- They receive financial aid from programs that do not permit funding from other sources (e.g., recipients of the JSPS Research Fellowship for Young Scientists, MEXT Scholarship students, recipients of overseas government scholarships, Tokyo Tech Advanced Human Resource Development Fellowship for Doctoral Students, "Cross the border! Tokyo-Tech pioneering doctoral research program").*
- They receive income as working adults (e.g., regular employees of a company, individuals who own a business).
- They have exceeded the standard duration of their doctoral studies.
Recipients of the JSPS Research Fellowship are not eligible to apply
Scholarships are provided over the standard duration of a doctoral program, which is three years.
Scholarship amount (annual)
1st year doctoral students
480,000 JPY (standard scholarship)
2nd and 3rd year doctoral students
480,000 JPY (standard scholarship)
Students who show outstanding academic performance will be granted a special scholarship. Approximately 20% of scholarship recipients in their second and third year will receive the special scholarship.
Call for applications in fall 2022
Read the guidelines(below) carefully, and prepare for application.
・Tokyo Tech Tsubame Scholarship Application Guidelines
Tokyo Tech Tsubame Scholarship Application Guidelines (2022 fall).pdf
Application for this round of recruitment is open to the following groups of students.
- Students enrolled in a doctoral degree program between April 2018 and September 2022.
- Students who are expecting to enroll in a doctoral degree program in April 2023 (i.e., current second-year master’s students).
Application is available on the Web Services for Students and Faculty (Kyomu Web system) during the following period.
[Students application period] From November 18*, 2022 to November 25,2022
*The application will be available from 1:00 pm.
[Supervisor’s approval period] From November 18, 2022 to November 30,2022
● You will not be able to access the application page except during the above period.
To make sure your supervisor has enough time for approval, please check the schedule of your supervisor beforehand and inform him/her about your approval request. And also don’t forget to inform the approval deadline, November 30.
• Consult the Student Support Division in advance if you are unable to apply from the Web System for Students and Faculty during this period.
2．Bank Transfer Request Form (Use the prescribed format and save it as a PDF file after completion.)
(applicants who have submitted the form in the past must do so again)
Bank Transfer Request Form （excel)
3.Copy of your bankbook (PDF or image file. Only Japanese banks are accepted.)
Copy of the bankbook page(s) showing your account information for verification.
• Submitted documents will be used solely for procedures related to this scholarship.
Research Achievements Report
Scholarship recipients are required to submit a Research Achievements Report once a year.
Please report from the Web Services for Students and Faculty (Kyomu Web system).
During the submission period, "Tokyo Tech Tsubame Scholarship for Doctoral Students Research Achievements Report " will be displayed in the questionnaire menu on the Kyomu Web system.
Please submit from there. (No need to submit in paper form)
Please be sure to submit the report by referring to the “Submission period of Research Achievements Report” below.
When preparing the report, be sure to write about the achievements in research over the past year.
Submission period of Research Achievements Report
(i) April enrollees: Early March (Enter research achievements from April.)
(ii) September enrollees: Early September (Enter research achievements from the end of September.)
We will inform you of the report reception schedule on this page and by e-mail before the start of report reception.
• After reporting your research achievements on the Kyomu Web system, your academic advisor has to approve the contents.
●Failure to submit a research achievements report within the specified period will result in suspension of scholarship payment for the following semester(s).
• Students who cannot hand in their report during the specified period must consult the Student Support Division in advance.
• The report will be used to select recipients of the special scholarship.
• If you decline Tsubame Scholarship in the middle of the fiscal year due to restrictions set by other scholarships, etc., and the period of receipt is less than one year, you need to prepare the achievements up to the period you decline.
【Fall 2022, Submission period of Research Achievements Report】
Students report period : From September 5,2022 to September 12, 2022 23：59
Supervisor’s approval period : From September 5, 2022 to September16, 2022 23：59
Students should submit the following documents from the Kyomu Web system during the above reception period, so please be prepared in advance.
（1）Achievements in research over the past* year [Form T-2]（Save it as a PDF file after completion.)
*Please keep within 1 page.
Achievements in research over the past year [Form T-2].doc
Achievements in research over the past year [Form T-2].pdf
(*If you decline Tsubame Scholarship in the middle of the fiscal year due to restrictions set by other scholarships, etc., and the period of receipt is less than one year, you need to prepare the achievements up to the period you decline.)
（2）Research plan for the coming year [Form T-1]（Save it as a PDF file after completion.)
*Please keep within 1 page.
Research plan for the coming year [Form T-1].doc
Research plan for the coming year [Form T-1].pdf
("Research plan" is not required if you do not wish to continue receiving the scholarship.)
Students affiliated to laboratories on Ookayama or Tamachi Campuses
Financial Aid Group, Student Support Division Ookayama Campus
Students affiliated to laboratories on Suzukakedai Campus
Suzukakedai Student Support Group, Student Support Division
The next call for applications is planned for around May 2023.