Research Student (Privately-funded)
Research Student positions are for individuals wishing to conduct research at one of the Institute’s laboratories under the guidance of a faculty member. Research Students will not be able to obtain a degree at the Institute. To be eligible to apply, individuals must have sufficient academic ability to conduct research. Prior to submitting an application, individuals must contact their prospective academic supervisor and receive his or her consent. As a general rule, Research Students may not attend courses at the Institute. However, if their academic supervisor deems it necessary, they may do so upon approval of the course instructors. Please note that Research Students (Privately Funded) will incur charges for the entrance examination, admission, and tuition fees.
Research Students are not guaranteed enrollment in a Tokyo Tech Graduate School. Individuals wishing to enroll in a graduate school should check with the Admissions Division prior to taking the entrance examination to ensure they meet the enrollment qualifications.
For prospective graduate students : https://www.titech.ac.jp/english/graduate_school/
Read the Research Student Application Guidelines（March 2019 update） carefully.
- Access the Institute’s Organization to choose a suitable prospective academic supervisor based on your specialization and preferred research field. Contact the specific faculty member directly and obtain his or her consent (use the Institute’s researcher database site, STAR Search).
- An application fee of JPY 9,800 may be paid by credit card through the e-payment site, e-shiharai.net. For details on the payment procedure using this website, refer to How to Make Application Fee Payment. A printout of the page confirming the credit card payment must be submitted with other application documents. Payment by cash or check is not accepted.
- If the applicant has resided in Japan in the past, please be sure to mention this fact in the Notes section of the Request for Admission as a Research Student form.
- Request for Admission as a Research Student Form(PDF ,Word) ,Sample
- Certificate of graduation from the last school attended
- Academic transcript from the last school attended
- A copy of both sides of the applicant’s Residence Card (if the applicant is residing in Japan)
- Mailing label with name and contact address in Japan (if the applicant is residing in Japan)
- A printout of the page confirming credit card payment made via the e-shiharai.net site.
Documents related to visa application or status
Documents listed in section A, B, or C must be submitted in accordance with the applicant’s visa status.
Applicants residing outside Japan and planning to apply for a Student Visa
Carefully read and follow the relevant instructions on How to obtain a Student Visa , and submit the following documents necessary to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility:
Application for Certificate of Eligibility Form(Excel) ,Sample(PDF)
(Both a hard copy and an electronic file must be submitted. Send the latter to email@example.com)
- One photo (40mm in length, 30mm in width) taken within the last three months. Do not paste your photo onto the form.
- Statement of Financial Support Form(PDF ,Word)
- Documents to prove financial circumstances as separately specified by the Institute (documents will differ depending on applicant’s sponsor and nationality).
- A copy of the applicant’s passport page showing his or her name, nationality, and photo
Applicants residing in Japan with a visa other than a Student Visa
Carefully read and follow the relevant instructions on How to obtain a Student Visa , and submit the following;
Application for Change of Status of Residence Form(Excel) ,Sample(PDF)
(Both a hard copy and electronic file must be submitted. Send the latter to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Details of the necessary documents may differ depending on nationality and other circumstances. For help concerning visa application, please consult the Immigration Bureau or use the Institute’s Immigration and Visa Consulting Service.