Prospective Students

Research Student (Privately-funded)

 Research Student positions are for individuals wishing to conduct research at one of the Institute’s laboratories under the guidance of a faculty member. Research Students will not be able to obtain a degree at the Institute. To be eligible to apply, individuals must have sufficient academic ability to conduct research. Prior to submitting an application, individuals must contact their prospective academic supervisor and receive his or her consent. As a general rule, Research Students may not attend courses at the Institute. However, if their academic supervisor deems it necessary, they may do so upon approval of the course instructors. Please note that Research Students (Privately Funded) will incur charges for the entrance examination, admission, and tuition fees.
 Research Students are not guaranteed enrollment in a Tokyo Tech Graduate School. Individuals wishing to enroll in a graduate school should check with the Admissions Division prior to taking the entrance examination to ensure they meet the enrollment qualifications.
 For prospective graduate students :

Application Procedures

Read the Research Student Application Guidelines(March 2018 update)PDF carefully.
Application SchedulePDF
Access the Institute’s Organizationouter to choose a suitable prospective academic supervisor based on your specialization and preferred research field. Contact the specific faculty member directly and obtain his or her consent (use the Institute’s researcher database site, STAR Searchouter).
An application fee of JPY 9,800 may be paid by credit card through the e-payment site, e-shiharai.netouter. For details on the payment procedure using this website, refer to How to Make Application Fee PaymentPDF. A printout of the page confirming the credit card payment must be submitted with other application documents. Payment by cash or check is not accepted.
If the applicant has resided in Japan in the past, please be sure to mention this fact in the Notes section of the Request for Admission as a Research Student form.

Application Documents

Request for Admission as a Research Student Form(PDF)PDF Form(Word)word SamplePDF
Certificate of graduation from the last school attended
Academic transcript from the last school attended

One of the following documents if the applicant is residing in Japan.

・A copy of both sides of the applicant’s Residence Card

・Certificate of Residence (Jūminhyo) without 'My Number'

Mailing label with name and contact address in Japan
A printout of the page confirming credit card payment made via the site.

Documents related to visa application or status

Documents listed in section A, B, or C must be submitted in accordance with the applicant’s visa status.

Applicants are also required to read the How to obtain a College Student VisaPDF document that details the visa application procedure necessary for studying at the Institute.


Applicants residing outside Japan and planning to apply for a College Student Visa

Documents necessary to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility:

Application for Certificate of Eligibility Form(Excel)xlsSample(PDF)PDF
(Both a hard copy and an electronic file must be submitted. Send the latter to
One photo (40mm in length, 30mm in width)
Documents to prove your financial circumstances (e.g., proof of scholarship, certificate of bank balance)
Statement of Financial Support Form(PDF)PDF Form(Word)word
A copy of the applicant’s passport page showing his or her name, nationality, and photo

Applicants who hold a specified visa

Documentation to prove that the applicant is a holder of one of the following specified visas:

Spouse or child of Japanese national

Spouse or child of permanent resident

Long-term resident

Designated activities

Applicants residing in Japan with a visa other than a College Student Visa

Application for Change of Status of Residence Form(Excel)xlsSample(PDF)PDF

(Both a hard copy and electronic file must be submitted. Send the latter to

Details of the necessary documents can differ depending on nationality and other circumstances. For help concerning visa application, please consult the Immigration Bureauouter or use the Institute’s Immigration and Visa Consulting Serviceouter.