Study Abroad Information and Consultation Service

Study Abroad Information and Consultation Service

The Study Abroad Information Center offers one-stop information and services for Tokyo Tech students interested in study abroad. Drop in for information on programs currently recruiting applications, or browse students’ reports on their experiences abroad, brochures from partner universities, scholarship information, and more. The Center also provides individual consultation services for those considering or planning study abroad activities.

Location and Hours

Study Abroad Information Center
Venue: Ookayama Campus, Taki Plaza Floor B1
Hours: Weekdays 9:00-17:00
Tel: 03-5734-3433
Email: ryugaku.soudan[@]
*Please change [@] to @ when you send an email.
*Please note that the Center is for Tokyo Tech students who wish to study abroad.

Location and Hours

News and Information (last update: 2021.2.24)

The Study Abroad Center has moved to Taki Plaza Floor B1.

  • To prevent the spread of COVID-19, please refrain from visiting in person for the time being.
  • Contact by email is strongly preferred (see contact information below).
  • The Study Abroad Support Service is accepting requests for individual consultations. Consultations in person or via Zoom are conducted by appointment only. Please make an appointment using the Study Abroad Support Service request form (see below for "Consultation Methods").
  • Inquiries to the Support Office for Promotion of Global Human Resources Development may be made by email or phone, and consultations are available via Zoom.

Study Abroad Support Service

Study Abroad Support Service

Staff members involved in outbound study abroad from Tokyo Tech are available to answer questions and provide advice on study abroad programs, destinations, timing, pre-departure preparations, and so on. Individual consultation is available via email or, by appointment only, in-person or via Zoom.

Students with the following concerns are welcome!

  • I want to study abroad but don't know how to get started.
  • There are many study abroad programs, but I don’t know which one is best for me.

Who staffs the service?

The service is staffed by Tokyo Tech faculty and staff members who possess considerable overseas experience and are involved in study abroad programming.

Who staffs the service?

Consultation methods

Consultations are available:
* in-person at Taki Plaza
* remotely via Zoom
* by email

To request consultation, please fill in the form below:
Study Abroad Support Service Request Form (English version)
Those requesting in-person or remote consultation will be informed of the meeting date and time. Please make requests well in advance.

Location for in-person consultations:
Ookayama Campus, Taki Plaza, Floor B1

* The consultation service is available only to Tokyo Tech students. For information about programs, etc. for international students at Tokyo Tech, please refer to the "Information for International Students" web page and the international admissions website.

Mail news for International Students

Mail news for International Students

Subscribe for email news from International Student Exchange Division Click here to receive the latest information about study abroad program and scholarships.

Frequently Asked Questions

Before requesting a consultation, please read the FAQ.

General questions about study abroad

Short-term study abroad programs (several weeks to several months)

  • Which programs are recommended for students wishing to study abroad for the first time?

    While considering the timing, duration, location, your interests, and how much it will cost, etc, choose a program based on your purpose in studying abroad. Many of the Institute’s short-term programs are scheduled for summer break or spring break, which will allow you to study abroad without missing classes, etc. at Tokyo Tech. We recommend both the Short-Term Study Abroad Program and Tokyo Tech-AYSEAS, which provide students with opportunities for intercultural exchange and visits to local companies at the destination country. We also recommend TASTE Short-term Education, which focuses on language learning, as well as seasonal programs organized by overseas universities, which allow you to attend lectures or conduct research in your field. Seasonal programs at other universities generally require a good command of English to understand specialized lectures taught in English. Some programs are offered on a tuition-waiver or discounted-fee basis to Tokyo Tech students.
    In addition to the above, Tokyo Tech Schools and departments offer some short-term programs. If you wish to study abroad in your field of study, consult with your School or department administration.

  • I want to go abroad for language study in a language other than English. Are there any such programs available?

    There are intensive language programs held during summer and spring break, for example, in Europe for German and French and in Asia for Chinese. The fees for these programs tend to be lower than fees for intensive English language programs in English-speaking countries.
    For information, contact the Study Abroad Information Center.

  • How much does it cost to participate in short-term overseas programs?

    Participation in AYSEAS and short-term overseas dispatch programs costs about JPY 150,000 to JPY 300,000, including airline tickets, accommodation, and daily expenses. In the case of TASTE, the total cost is about JPY 600,000 to JPY 700,000 for English-speaking countries in the West and JPY 300,000 for the Philippines. For overseas language study in a language other than English, tuition fees tend to be relatively low, but the overall cost will vary as you will arrange airline tickets and accommodation yourself. In the case of seasonal programs organized by Tokyo Tech partner universities, the cost varies from about JPY 300,000 to JPY 800, 000 depending on the study abroad destination and length of stay. Programs in the United States and the United Kingdom tend to be expensive. For some programs organized by Tokyo Tech partner universities, program fees are waived for students recommended by the Institute. In addition, many of the programs for which Tokyo Tech announces recruitment offer scholarships. If you meet certain requirements, such as satisfying a certain grade coefficient, you may be able to receive a study abroad scholarship; please check the application requirements of each program.

  • How can I find accommodation for my study abroad?

    Many students stay in homestays or university dormitories, and a small number of students rent apartments. For information about homestay and university dormitory options, please refer to the information on your program’s web page, and then apply.

Long-term study abroad programs (6 months or more)

  • What are the Exchange Programs under Tuition Waiver?

    Exchange Programs under Tuition Waiver are based on bilateral tuition waiver agreements between Tokyo Tech and its partner universities abroad. The program enables Tokyo Tech and the respective partner university to exchange students under an agreement that the participating students pay tuition only to the university where they are first enrolled and are not charged tuition by the destination university. Program participants pay only for expenses such as student government membership fees, accommodation fees, living expenses, and so on. To participate in this program, it is necessary to apply through Tokyo Tech. Students who pass the internal selection process receive the Institute’s nomination to the partner university. Since there are some scholarships connected to this program, you may have more chances to receive scholarships than if you were to apply directly to the same university.

    If you are interested in participating the exchange program at a partner university that has hosted Tokyo Tech students in the past, it may be advantageous to refer to the students’ experience reports available at Students' Experiences.

  • How should I go about applying for Exchange Programs under Tuition Waiver?

    Tokyo Tech conducts internal recruitment for these programs about six times a year: up to four times for autumn departures, and up to two times for spring departures. The first recruitment is conducted one year before the start of each the autumn and spring student exchanges, and, if participant slots are still available, additional recruitment may be conducted three to six months before the relevant exchange. Applicants must possess a minimum level of language proficiency (as evidenced by language proficiency exam scores) at the time of application in order to be nominated by Tokyo Tech and to apply to a partner university. The minimum level of English language proficiency required by Tokyo Tech for application to Exchange Programs under Tuition Waiver is TOEFL ITP 497, TOEFL iBT 60, or IELTS. 5.5. As some partner universities require higher scores, be sure to check the requirements of the university; the information is indicated in The List of Partner Universities.

    In addition, as the Exchange Programs are six months to a full academic year in duration, be sure to formulate a comprehensive study plan, including classes and research, for your full degree program in advance of application. Please consult your academic advisor or academic supervisor about how to position study abroad in your study plan at Tokyo Tech.

  • Is it possible to study abroad without delaying graduation?

    It is possible to complete your studies on time, but it depends on when you study abroad and the graduation requirements for your degree program. If you are interested in studying abroad, please talk with your academic advisor or academic supervisor about your study plan as soon as possible, and plan ahead to fit study abroad into your program.

  • How should I go about choosing a university for my study abroad destination?

    First, look for universities where you can study what you want.
    If you want to take classes abroad, look at the course catalogs published on university websites to see which courses are available. If you want to conduct research activities abroad, talk with your academic supervisor at Tokyo Tech and find out if they can recommend any professors engaged in the research you want to pursue.

  • How much does it cost to study abroad on long-term study abroad programs?

    This depends on the destination and accommodation. Here are examples from students who studied abroad on university exchange programs.
    Case 1: Study abroad in China for 5 months … Approximately 700,000 yen (based on accommodation in a student dormitory)
    Case 2: Study abroad in the UK for 9 months … Approximately 1.7 million yen (based on accommodation in a student dormitory)
    Note: Students who go abroad on Exchange Programs Under Tuition Waiver pay regular tuition to Tokyo Tech, while the host university waives tuition. Student union fees, dormitory fees, living expenses and other expenses other than tuition fees will be borne by the individual student.

Other Study Abroad Programs


Study Abroad Information Center

Tel 03-5734-3433