Prospective Students

Research Student (Privately Funded)

Research Student positions are for individuals wishing to conduct research at one of the Institute’s laboratories under the guidance of a faculty member. Research Students will not be able to obtain a degree at the Institute. To be eligible to apply, individuals must have sufficient academic ability to conduct research. Prior to submitting an application, individuals must contact their prospective academic supervisor and receive his or her consent. As a general rule, Research Students may not attend courses at the Institute. However, if their academic supervisor deems it necessary, they may do so upon approval of the course instructors. Please note that Research Students (Privately Funded) will incur charges for the entrance examination, admission, and tuition fees.
Research Students are not guaranteed enrollment in a Tokyo Tech Graduate School. Individuals wishing to enroll in a graduate school should check with the Admissions Division prior to taking the entrance examination to ensure they meet the enrollment qualifications.
For prospective graduate students :

Application Procedures

Application Guide for Research Student (Privately Funded)

Access the Institute’s Organization to choose a suitable prospective academic supervisor based on your specialization and preferred research field. Contact the specific faculty member directly and obtain his or her consent (use the Institute’s researcher database site, STAR Search).

Applications for admission in April 2022 must be done online in early November 2021. As pre-registration is required, firstly, send an email requesting an application to the Student Division;
Please also be sure to attach a screenshot or copy of the email from your academic advisor certifying the approval of your application
We will send a password and URL for online application.

Application Documents(Upload the documents following the instructions on the online application screen)
※Please confirm the Application Guidelines for details.

A copy of the email from the intended academic supervisor stating his/her acceptance of the application to becoming a research student. (PDF)
Certificate of graduation from the last school attended (PDF)
Academic transcript from the last school attended (PDF)
A printout of the page confirming credit card payment (PDF)
An application fee of JPY 9,800 may be paid by credit card via the site. For details on the payment procedure using this website, refer to How to Make Application Fee Payment. Payment by cash or check is not accepted. Note that the Institute will not refund any fees.
Application for Tokyo Tech Student ID Card WORD
A digital photo (less than 2MB, 350 (height) × 290 (width) pixels, JPEG format with a resolution of more than 300 dpi)
*The photo should be in color with no background, must provide a clear, front view of the applicant's entire face, and should be taken within the last three months.
A copy of both sides of the applicant’s Residence Card (if the applicant is residing in Japan) (PDF)
Mailing label with name and contact address in Japan (if the applicant is residing in Japan) (PDF)
Documents related to visa application or status
Documents listed in section A, B, or C must be submitted in accordance with the applicant’s visa status.
※ Please be sure to contact us at to let us know If your application for a COE has been rejected in the past.

Applicants residing outside Japan and planning to apply for a Student Visa
Carefully read and follow the relevant instructions on How to obtain a Student Visa , and submit the following documents necessary to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility(COE):
Application for Certificate of Eligibility(COE) Form(Excel) ,Sample(PDF).
Statement of Financial Support Form(PDF ,Word ,Sample).
Documents to prove financial circumstances as separately specified by the Institute (documents will differ depending on applicant’s sponsor and nationality.)
A copy of the applicant’s passport page showing his or her name, nationality, and photo. (PDF)
A certificate of attendance or completion and transcripts (those who have attended school in Japan in the past).
Applicants residing in Japan with a visa other than a Student Visa
Carefully read and follow the relevant instructions on How to obtain a Student Visa , and submit the following;
Application for Change of Status of Residence Form(Excel) ,Sample(PDF)

Details of the necessary documents may differ depending on nationality and other circumstances. For help concerning visa application, please consult the Immigration Bureau or use the Institute’s Immigration and Visa Consulting Service.


Student Division, Graduate Services Group
Privately Funded Research Student