Tokyo Institute of Technology (Tokyo Tech) offers a research-oriented program for undergraduate and graduate students to pursue individual research projects under Tokyo Tech faculty supervision.
In addition, participants will have opportunities to learn about Japanese culture while experiencing life in one of the most exciting and technologically-advanced cities in the world.
*For course-oriented and research-oriented programs starting in June 29, 2018, please refer to the information on the TKT CAMPUS Asia website.
・Undergraduate students majoring in science and engineering-related fields who have completed their second year at the time of participation
・Graduate students in science and engineering-related fields
*Applicants must have student status at their home university during their period of study at Tokyo Tech.
Participants are assigned to a laboratory and will conduct summer research projects under the guidance of Tokyo Tech faculty members.
・Research Project - 2 credits (compulsory)
・Japan Studies - 2 credits (compulsory)
・Japanese for Beginners - 1 credits (optional)
・Factory tours / site visits, Japanese cultural experiences, and activities with Tokyo Tech students
Academic records containing course grades and a certificate of completion will be issued.
How credits are transferred depends on the student's home university.
Up to 40 students will be selected to participate
Waived (application 9,800JPY, admission 84,600JPY, tuition 29,700 JPY/month)
200,000 - 240,000 JPY in total *subject to change
Note that off-campus accommodations will be reserved by Tokyo Tech.
Participants cannot choose accommodations.
A limited number of qualified students will receive a JASSO or Tokyo Tech Fund scholarship. Those awarded will be informed one or two months before beginning their studies.
Participants are required to purchase Disaster and Accident Insurance for Students as well as Personal Liability Insurance for Students upon arrival (cost: 1,340 JPY in total). We also request participants to purchase overseas travel insurance before traveling to Japan.
Submit the required items online.
December 1, 2017
January 31, 2018
Notified by February 28, 2018
1. Contact the student exchange office or equivalent of your home university and confirm if selection by your home university is required. If so, please follow the procedure before starting the application.
2. Choose potential Academic Advisor(s).
*Please do not directly contact any professors at the time of application. Arrangements will be made upon admission into the program.
3. Register and submit the following required items online.
*Please select a category "Tokyo Tech Summer / Winter Program".
1) Official academic transcripts in English (PDF)
- Please include the guidelines of the grading system in English.
- Must include the latest academic year.
Tokyo Tech reserves the right to verify the authenticity of transcripts.
2) Recommendation letter from your home university (free format) (PDF)
3) Verification of your student status at your home university (PDF)
- Please verify your student status at your home university while at Tokyo Tech.
4) Application for Tokyo Tech Student ID Card
5) Copy of your passport (PDF)
- Page(s) showing your name, nationality and photo.
- If you do not have a passport at the time of application, a copy should be submitted by email as soon as it is issued.
6) Official test results of TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS, or equivalent (PDF)
- Only required for non-native speakers of English.
-Not mandatory but strongly recommended.
7) Photograph (JPEG)
- Must be in color with no background, clear with a front view of your entire face, taken within the last 3 months
- The file must be less than 2MB, 350(height) x 290(width) pixels, in JPEG format with a resolution of more than 300 dpi.
*If submitting more than two files for the same item(e.g. three transcripts from different schools), please combine into one PDF file and upload here.
*In addition to the above documents, Tokyo Tech may request submission of their originals, as well as a visa Certificate of Eligibility application and Verification Documents of Your Financial Status by e-mail.
Boston University / Brown University / California Institute of Technology / Carnegie Mellon / University / Cornell University / Harvard University / Massachusetts Institute of Technology / Rice University / University of California, Berkeley / University of California Santa Barbara / University of Michigan / University of Washington / University of Wisconsin-Madison
Aalto University / Cardiff University / Delft University of Technology / École Nationale Supérieure d'Arts et Métiers / École Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées / Eindhoven University of Technology / University of Pierre and Marie Curie / Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule Aachen / Technische Universität München / University of Oxford, St Anne's College / University of York / Vienna University of Technology
Bandung Institute of Technology / Hong Kong University of Science and Technology / Nanyang Technological University / The University of Melbourne / Tsinghua University / University of Indonesia