Tokyo Institute of Technology (Tokyo Tech) offers a research-oriented program for undergraduate and graduate students to pursue individual research projects under Tokyo Tech faculty supervision.
In addition, participants will have opportunities to learn about Japanese culture while experiencing life in one of the most exciting and technologically-advanced cities in the world.
*This program is limited to students from designated universities.
・Undergraduate students majoring in science and engineering-related fields who have completed their 3rd year at the time of participation
・Graduate students in science and engineering-related fields
*Participants must have student status at their home university during their period of study at Tokyo Tech.
Participants will conduct individual research projects under the guidance of Tokyo Tech faculty members in faculty laboratories. They will also participate in a compulsory Japan Studies course and have the option of taking a beginner-level Japanese language course.
・Research Project - 2 credits (compulsory)
・Japan Studies course- 2 credits (compulsory)
・Japanese for Beginners course- 1 credit (optional)
・Site visits, Japanese cultural experiences, and activities with Tokyo Tech students
An academic record containing course grades and a certificate of completion will be issued.
Credit transfer is at the discretion of the home university.
Up to 20 students will be selected to participate
Waived (application 9,800JPY, admission 84,600JPY, tuition 29,700 JPY/month)
220,000 - 250,000 JPY in total *subject to change
Note that off-campus accommodations will be reserved by Tokyo Tech.
Participants may not choose accommodations.
A limited number of qualified students will receive a JASSO or Tokyo Tech Fund scholarship.
Those selected to receive the scholarships will be notified one or two months before the start of the program.
Participants are required to purchase Disaster and Accident Insurance for Students as well as Personal Liability Insurance for Students (cost: 1,340 JPY in total) upon arrival. Participants are asked to purchase overseas travel insurance before traveling to Japan.
Submit the required items via Tokyo Tech’s online application system.
May 1, 2019
June 20, 2019
Notification by July 31, 2019
1. Contact the student exchange office or its equivalent at your home university and confirm whether selection by your home university is required. If so, please follow your university’s internal procedures before starting the Tokyo Tech application.
2.Identify potential Academic Supervisor(s).
*Please do not directly contact any professors at the time of application. Tokyo Tech will match successful applicants to host faculty members.
3. Register and submit the following required items online.
*Select “Tokyo Tech Summer / Winter Program” as the category
1) Official academic transcripts in English (PDF)
- Include the guidelines of the grading system in English
- Must include the latest academic year
Tokyo Tech reserves the right to verify the authenticity of transcripts.
2) Recommendation letter from your home university (free format) (PDF)
3) Verification of your student status at your home university (PDF)
- You must show evidence of student status at your home university for the period of the program at Tokyo Tech.
4) Application for Tokyo Tech Student ID Card
5) Copy of your passport (PDF)
- Page(s) showing your name, nationality and photo.
- If you do not have a passport at the time of application, please submit a copy of the necessary pages by email as soon as the passport is issued.
6) Official test results of TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS, or equivalent (PDF)
- (For non-native speakers of English) Strongly recommended but not mandatory
7) Photograph (JPEG)
- Must be in color with no background, clear with a frontal view of your entire face, taken within the last 3 months
- The file must be less than 2MB, 350(height) x 290(width) pixels, in JPEG format with a resolution of more than 300 dpi.
*If submitting more than two files for the same item (e.g. three transcripts from different schools), please combine them into one PDF file and upload it.
*Tokyo Tech may contact you by email to request submission of originals of the documents indicated above.
*As part of the visa application process, those selected for the program will be asked to fill out a Certificate of Eligibility application form and may be asked for documents to verify their financial status.