Tokyo Institute of Technology (Tokyo Tech) organizes the Tokyo Tech Winter Program, a short-term inbound exchange program for undergraduate and graduate students enrolled at overseas universities to pursue individual research projects under Tokyo Tech faculty supervision.
Participants have opportunities to learn about Japanese culture while experiencing life in one of the most exciting and technologically-advanced cities in the world.
In AY 2020, due to the ongoing spread of COVID-19, Tokyo Tech offers Bringing Ideas in Remote Discussion (BIRD), a new virtual exchange program for students from Tokyo Tech and The University of Melbourne.
Participants in this program will
(1) Increase their knowledge of technologies for public health (AY 2020 program theme)
(2) Enhance their problem-solving skills through group work with those from diverse academic disciplines and backgrounds
(3) Expand their academic and social networks
Bringing Ideas in Remote Discussion (BIRD) ꟷ virtual exchange program (AY 2020)
Program Period: February 12 – 22, 2021
General theme for 2021 program: Public health
-Current undergraduate and graduate students at The University of Melbourne
*Participants must maintain student status at The University of Melbourne during the program.
* A tandem language partner program will be offered for those who want to gain Japanese language skills through language exchanges with participants from Tokyo Tech. Details will be announced later.
-Lectures on technologies related to public health (100 min. x 4 lectures)
-Icebreaking sessions, including short individual presentations by participants (100 min. x 2 sessions)
-Group work (100 min. x 4 sessions)
A Certificate of Program Completion will be issued to each participant who completes the program.
Number of participants
Maximum 20 in total, including up to 10 from The University of Melbourne
*Competitive selection of applicants will be conducted in case of oversubscription.
Program fee: Free of charge
Program flyer: see
How to apply
Please first contact us by email to request the BIRD application form. Once you have it, complete the form and submit your application by email attachment.
-Email to: email@example.com
*Be sure to indicate “Application for BIRD (Your name)” in the subject line.
-Application deadline: October 27, 2020
-Notification: Applicants will be notified of the result of their application by November 6, 2020.
Tokyo Tech Winter Program 2019
Program Period: November 26, 2019 - February 5, 2020
Duration: 10 weeks
*This program is limited to students from designated universities.
・Undergraduate students majoring in science and engineering-related fields who have completed their 3rd year at the time of participation
・Graduate students in science and engineering-related fields
*Participants must have student status at their home university during their period of study at Tokyo Tech.
Participants will conduct individual research projects under the guidance of Tokyo Tech faculty members in faculty laboratories. They will also participate in a compulsory Japan Studies course and have the option of taking a beginner-level Japanese language course.
・Research Project - 2 credits (compulsory)
・Japan Studies course- 2 credits (compulsory)
・Japanese for Beginners course- 1 credit (optional)
・Site visits, Japanese cultural experiences, and activities with Tokyo Tech students
An academic record containing course grades and a certificate of completion will be issued.
Credit transfer is at the discretion of the home university.
Up to 20 students will be selected to participate
Application, Admission, and Tuition Fees
Waived (application 9,800JPY, admission 84,600JPY, tuition 29,700 JPY/month)
220,000 - 250,000 JPY in total *subject to change
Note that off-campus accommodations will be reserved by Tokyo Tech.
Participants may not choose accommodations.
A limited number of qualified students will receive a JASSO or Tokyo Tech Fund scholarship.
Those selected to receive the scholarships will be notified one or two months before the start of the program.
Participants are required to purchase Disaster and Accident Insurance for Students as well as Personal Liability Insurance for Students (cost: 1,340 JPY in total) upon arrival. Participants are asked to purchase overseas travel insurance before traveling to Japan.
How to Apply
Submit the required items via Tokyo Tech’s online application system.
Application Period Opens
May 1, 2019
June 20, 2019
Notification by July 31, 2019
Tokyo Tech Winter Program 2019 Flyer
Application Procedures and Documents
1. Contact the student exchange office or its equivalent at your home university and confirm whether selection by your home university is required. If so, please follow your university’s internal procedures before starting the Tokyo Tech application.
2.Identify potential Academic Supervisor(s).
List of Labs & Research Topics 2019
*Please do not directly contact any professors at the time of application. Tokyo Tech will match successful applicants to host faculty members.
3. Register and submit the following required items online.
*Select “Tokyo Tech Summer / Winter Program” as the category
1) Official academic transcripts in English (PDF)
- Include the guidelines of the grading system in English
- Must include the latest academic year
Tokyo Tech reserves the right to verify the authenticity of transcripts.
2) Recommendation letter from your home university (free format) (PDF)
3) Verification of your student status at your home university (PDF)
- You must show evidence of student status at your home university for the period of the program at Tokyo Tech.
4) Application for Tokyo Tech Student ID Card
Application for Tokyo Tech Student ID Card
5) Copy of your passport (PDF)
- Page(s) showing your name, nationality and photo.
- If you do not have a passport at the time of application, please submit a copy of the necessary pages by email as soon as the passport is issued.
6) Official test results of TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS, or equivalent (PDF)
- (For non-native speakers of English) Strongly recommended but not mandatory
7) Photograph (JPEG)
- Must be in color with no background, clear with a frontal view of your entire face, taken within the last 3 months
- The file must be less than 2MB, 350(height) x 290(width) pixels, in JPEG format with a resolution of more than 300 dpi.
*If submitting more than two files for the same item (e.g. three transcripts from different schools), please combine them into one PDF file and upload it.
*Tokyo Tech may contact you by email to request submission of originals of the documents indicated above.
*As part of the visa application process, those selected for the program will be asked to fill out a Certificate of Eligibility application form and may be asked for documents to verify their financial status.
Universities of past participants
Oceania:The University of Melbourne/The University of New South Wales/Australian National University/The University of Sydney
Europe:Technical University of Munich
Past program reports